This is an adaptation of Alton Brown's Lemon-Ginger Frozen Yogurt Recipe. You can use store bought yogurt, but that's expensive, so I make my own.
Step 1: Make Yogurt
- Pour 2 quarts of milk into a 3 quart container and add one packet of dry powdered milk (enough to make one quart).
- Turn oven on for two minutes
- Microwave milk until it is 120 degrees (about 6-8 minutes)
- Cool milk until it is 110 degrees
- Add 1 cup live culture yogurt and stir
- Place container in oven
- You'll need to monitor the temperature of the mixture. You want to try and keep it between 100 and 115 degrees. (Turning the oven on for two minutes every two hours does the trick for me. Helps if you have a probe thermometer.)
- Remove when done 4 -8 hours. The longer you leave it the gellier it will be but the tarter it will be.
Step 2: Make Yogurt Cheese
- Pour Yogurt into a colander lined with cheese cloth. Place a weight plate and small weight on top (can of soup works).
- Place colander over large bowl and refrigerate over night.
- In the morning, the bowl will have whey which you can use for protein shakes
- The colander will contain the yogurt cheese (add some chives and garlic powder, and you have an awesome dip.
- But we're going to use ours to make frozen yogurt.
Step 3: Make Frozen Yogurt
- Empty yogurt cheese into a large bowl and add
- 4 Cups Yogurt Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup agave nectar (or Light Corn Syrup)
- 1/2 cup passion fruit juice (about 10 fruits worth)
- Whisk to combine and add to your ice cream maker.
- Eat yogurt