This is Jen’s new go-to snack and meal course. There are tons of variations on this, but this one is ours. If eating the garnish doesn’t seem appealing, it didn’t to me either, but this salad really is quite good. It also holds up in the fridge very well.
Video of me prep chefing the veggies.
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon (~50-60 mL)
- 1tsp honey (we go heavy on the honey)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Shake, whisk, or blend.
- 1 bunch Kale (or half bag) finely chopped and dried
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 2 large celery stalks diced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries coarsely chopped
- 1/4 pine nuts (toasted is awesome)
- Place kale in a large bowl and massage dressing into kale.
- Add rest of the ingredients and toss.
- Top with a few more pine nuts for a more appealing presentation.
The lemon and honey go together amazingly well. I’m surprised that that particular combination is not more widely used…oh. Never mind.
You can substitute pistachios or almonds for pine nuts, as pine nuts seem to be worth their weight in gold. Costco has the cheapest ones we can find.
You really want to chop that kale finely, or else your jaw will get a superset workout.
You can add other stuff if you like, such as bell peppers or cheese, but we like it simple.