Many people are intimidated by guacamole. Here’s the Heymanator, sure-fire method of getting awesome guacamole every time.
- Start with good avocados, typically Haas, and they should be ripe (i.e., soft). We have had great luck with Costco avocados.
- Half the avocados, seed them, and scoop them into a bowl with a flat surface.
- Mash them up until they are relatively smooth. I like to use a potato masher (hence the flat bottom).
- Here’s the secret. Add lime juice, more than you think you’ll need; salt, more than you think you need, and freshly ground pepper. Mix well and taste. Your avocados should be seasoned to taste before you add any other ingredients.
- Add in minced onion and small diced tomatoes. (You can rinse the onions under water to deflame them and get rid of that hot raw onion taste.) For two avocados, I usually add half a medium onion and one medium tomato. You want the ripest, most flavorful tomato possible.
- Taste again and add more lime juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Cilantro: some people love it
- Mayonnaise: helps make it smoother, but it’s not necessary if you followed step 1 and 3.
- Other spices: garlic, cumin, coriander, diced jalapeño, diced serranos, cayenne pepper, whatever
Oh, and please use fresh lime juice from real (small, thin-skinned) limes whenever possible.
Subscribe for Free Updates
Learn how you too can be buff for the beach.